Thursday 8 October 2015

Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Blocks 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 14, 16 and 20

Block 20 - Caroline
Well the Farmer’s Wife 1930s sew-along over at Gnome Angel got over to a chaotic start due to there being over 4000 participants – WOWEE!  But all is settling down now with two blocks every week. 

The order of the blocks for each sew-along is different so I shall post the blocks I have made for both sew-alongs this past fortnight.  Below you will find a picture together with the journal notes for each block. 

Block 5 - Anne.  Paper-pieced.  “Made slight error in fabric placement but block is still pretty.”
Farmer's Wife Block 5 - Anne 

Block 6 - April.  Paper-pieced.  “A lot of work.  Important to have pieces marked with colour as it is easy to get muddled.
Tip:  If paper-piecing you can combine E4 and E5 into one piece and F3 and F4 into one piece.
Farmer's Wife Block 6 - April 

Block 7 – Augusta–the-First.  Paper-pieced.  “6¼” finished which is disappointing as it was a lot of work.“ 
Farmer's Wife Block 7 - Augusta-the-First. 
I remade this block using Very Kerry Berry’s wonderful tips and the paper-pieced Augusta-the-second turned out to the correct size of 6½" ......
Farmer's Wife Block 7 - Augusta-the-Second 

Block 8 - Aunt.  Patchwork.  "Easy patchwork block."
Farmer's Wife Block 8 - Aunt 

Block 12 - Becky.  Patchwork.  “Easy – very easy. Great stash buster.
Farmer's Wife Block 12 - Becky 

Block 14 - Betty.  Patchwork.   “Quick and easy patchwork using half-square triangles”.
Farmer's Wife Block 14 - Betty 

Block 16 - Bonnie.  Patchwork.  “Easy to patch.”
Farmer's Wife Block 16 - Bonnie 

Block 20 - Caroline.  Patchwork.  “Easy patchwork using half-square-triangles.  Very pretty – love it.”  If you want to patch this block with easy half-square-triangles then this tutorial from Elven Garden will show you how.
Farmer's Wife Block 20 - Caroline 
Now the sew-alongs are settling down I shall post each week showing the four blocks made that week from both groups.  If you want to have a gander of my blocks so far you can pop over to my Pinterest board

Until next time ........ 

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks Amanda and I love the fabrics you have chosen! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. The Kona Snow background pulls all those scrappy fabrics together. Hoping this quilt will look pretty.

      Delete
  2. Where is the alternate QAL taking place? I am doing the one with Angie from Gnome Angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is with Verykerryberry. Click on the link just underneath the picture of Augusta-the-First or click the yellow/green/orange badge on the left-hand side.

      Delete
  3. Love your fabric choices! I've only done two of my blocks so far having been away for the first week of the sew along but I'm sure I'll catch up soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a nice time away. There is no rush to catch up though - I am making blocks as part of my block-a-day project so I tend to get one or two extra ones made. It depends on which size quilt you are making but you may not need 99 blocks anyway. I am making the twin size version and I need 84 for that quilt so there is wiggle room!

      Delete
  4. Your photos are so light-filled and your selections so fresh! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say - thank you. I struggle with photography - I am not a natural. The light changes here so often especially at this time of the year.

      Delete
  5. I really love your blocks! Your use of color is so clean and leaves the blocks looking sharp. (i'm not sure if that's the right word)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds good to me and thank you. I tend to use what I like and I sometimes worry I am too limited. So these words of encouragement are lovely to receive. xxxx

      Delete