Saturday 17 October 2015

Farmer's Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 9, 10, 13 and 24

Block 10 - Ava
This weeks Very Kerry Berry sew-along blocks were:

Block 9 – Autumn.  Paper-pieced.  My notes in the book read: “Take papers off to join sections – it gives a little bit of ‘wiggle’ room that paper never can.  Perfectly to size.”  This block turned out a little too busy for my liking. 

Block 10 – Ava.  Paper-pieced the four corner blocks – patched the center and patched the block together.  Notes read:  Okay block – nothing special.”  This is then scribbled out and replaced with “Changed my mind – really like.”  Sometimes a block just takes a day or two to grow on me!
Block 10 - Ava

For the Gnome Angel sew-along the two blocks were:

Block 13 – Belle.  I EPPed (English paper-pieced) this block prior to starting the sew-along to see if I would be able to mix-and-match techniques.  I found out I can, with a little help from the quilting community as my notes reflect:  “Jo at My Bear Paw showed me how to recover the ¼” seam allowance.  Neat.”  Now the block can be stitched into place alongside the paper-pieced and patched blocks.
Block 13 - Belle
And here is Block 13 Belle with the seam allowance recovered (just take out the tacking stitches around the outside of the block or, if you glued the templates in place gently pull the fabric away from the paper and press your seam allowance open): 
Block 13 - Belle with seam allowance.

The last block is Block 24 – Coral - a simple eight-point star with an off-center patch in the middle.  Gotta say I didn’t like the look of this block prior to patching it and I still don’t.  Notes read: “An ‘odd’ looking block.  Not one I like or will include in my finished quilt.”   I don't think it fits in with the other blocks in the book - most of which are symmetrical.

I have completed quite a few of the other blocks too – your can find them all on my Farmer's Wife Pinterest board.

Until next time...... 

12 comments:

  1. I like all your block and admire that you are doing both sew alongs at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I have set my goal for 2015 to make a block each day so these two SALs provide me with plenty of choice for the last couple if months.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Connie. I'm using the fabrics I have to hand but trying to limit the palette a little.

      Delete
  3. I love the fabrics you are using for this sew along. Red makes everything so cheery. They all look wonderful so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coming from the lady who could match two paper-bags and make it look stunning. Thank you. xxxx

      Delete
  4. Stunning blocks... in the precision and crispness and colors of fabrics! This quilt is going to be gorgeous!!!
    I wish I was as far along as you are in the FW 1930's!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy losing myself in some daily sewing time and I do realise how lucky I am that I get the time to make a block a day. The blocks soon mount up but the sew-alongs are on for a year so there is no rush - whatsoever.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Melody. With 99 blocks it would be hard to get it wrong - I think anything goes!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Melody. With 99 blocks it would be hard to get it wrong - I think anything goes!!

      Delete