Wednesday 1 April 2015

Ladybirds and Ladybugs Across the Pond


April is upon us and with it a new Across the Pond SAL project.  Susie has chosen this month’s topic – ladybugs (or ladybirds as we call them on this side of the pond).  Pop over to Susie's Sunroom to check out her amazing wall quilt.
Susie's Ladybug Wall Quilt
In the meantime I've collected a few free projects from hyperspace just for you (click on the pictures or captions to open the FREE project in a new window).  

Here is a quick and handy pincushion that shouldn't take more than an hour:
All About You Ladybird Pincushion

Or how about a cutesy little cushion which doubles as a child's soft cuddlebug:
Sew 4 Home Ladybug Pillow Pal

If you can crochet then get some red and black wool right this minute to create a lovely ladybug backpack (I must ask my sister if she can make this in my size - why should the kids have all the fun?)
Red Heart Ladybug Backpack

And if you've got time for a whole quilt then this one from Ivory Spring is super cute:
Ivory Spring Ladybug Quilt

If you don’t fancy a whole quilt how about a patchwork block .....
Apple Avenue Patchwork Ladybugs

or if paper-piecing is your thing ....
Handiwerx Paper Pieced Ladybug

And to finish the selection - my make for this month is the ladybird purse from the wonderful Red Brolly .....
Red Brolly Ladybug Purse

I made two of Red Brolly’s ladybird purses – one for each of my nieces.  
Red Brolly Ladybug Purse 

I used fabric in place of felt so I lined the purses before filling them with Easter chocolates.
Lined and full of goodies - just perfect for little ones (and big ones too - I tested them, I know).
And I also made a little ladybird block for today's BAD block using the ladybird applique from my Ladybug mug rug pattern.
Block 91 of the Patchsmith's BAD (Block-a-Day) Project
Of course, if you feel like shelling out $1.99 (£1.35 approx) for the perfect Ladybug mug rug pattern then I have just the thing (of course I do - I am the Patchsmith!):
Ladybug (Ladybird) Mug Rug Pattern


Check back in the month as I will be making the patchwork and paper-pieced ladybug blocks for my BAD project and I will post about them here and over on the Across the Pond Flickr group.

Sew until then ......

14 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda! Love all those ladybird projects... the little bags for your nieces are really cute! Thanks for sharing the links! Happy Easter!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too Christine. I just need to stay away from the chocolates!!!

      Delete
  2. So much cuteness in your blog!! I adore your little ladybug purses for your nieces!! And thank you for ALL of the links you have found for us!! I will be making my own Patchsmith Ladybird Mug Rug soon!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for picking such a cute theme for this month. It is nice to look forward to the summer and all the ladybirds I will see as I am out and about here in England - they like the nettles that grow in the hedgerow.

      Delete
  3. Ladybugs are perfect for springtime, and they also bring good luck, right? These are such sweet patterns and projects...surely I can find time to make a little ladybug sometime this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know ladybirds were associated with good luck - but I am not surprised - they are so cute.

      Delete
  4. Ladybirds or ladybugs, makes no difference. There's something about their bright colors and their very important job in keeping our gardens healthy. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 2strings. I like both ladybugs and ladybirds - it describes them perfectly.

      Delete
  5. So cute! Love the theme. I used to work in a school that had a ladybug garden that attracted many varieties. Some were different colors with a metallic look about them. Neat little creatures especially their incognito wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter Amanda! You sure found some adorable Ladybird projects. The little purses for your nieces are too cute and as always, i love your mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute those bugs! I hope you had lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Everyone!! I am trying to get the paper pattern for the ladybug wall quilt and it won't let me access as the link doesn't work! Could anyone help??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it would appear that the Ladybug pattern is no longer free. You can find details about it by pasting this link into your browser:http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/lady-bug-mini-quilt-/145172

      Hope that helps,
      Amanda

      Delete