Wednesday 3 December 2014

Row 4 - the complete Nordic Mini Quilt

The Patchsmith's version of the Nordic Mini Quilt
The Nordic Mini Quilt-Along has proved a lovely diversion from the busyness of this time of year.  Four small rows of patchwork pleasure which will look good all year round – not just for Christmas.

Row 4 saw us patching ‘woven’ hearts finished with a touch of appliqué.  
Row 4 - Love, love, love red gingham hearts
As you know I am a fan of quick-fuse appliqué but Crafty Quilter Julie provides a super fast way of finishing the hearts with turned appliqué.  No fiddly turning of 1/8” seams required – just simple stitching with a little bit of fusible batting.  It was very, very easy.
Four rows of fabric fun
Row 4 also brought us to the end of this Nordic quilt along.  With all four rows joined together I finished this patchwork mini with some red and grey hand quilting.  Those rustic stitches (using two strands of embroidery thread) complement the Nordic simplicity of the red-and-white design.
The rustic hand quilting distracts from my less-than-perfect piecing.
Cunning eh?
If you haven’t joined in the quilt-along I can wholeheartedly recommend it.  You will find all of the tutorials over at the Crafty Quilter
It is never too late for a Nordic Mini Quilt
I'm off to finish my very last Patchiqué block.  Sew until next time .......

20 comments:

  1. Lovely job. I love the rustic quilting. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The quilting detracts from a missing point at the top of one of my star blocks.

      Delete
  2. I love everything about it, Amanda! Thank you for showing it off and for all of your help with the instructions.
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie for another wonderful design. You are one very talented lady.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I love the Craft Quilter's free patterns - they always turn out nice.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, that is lovely - I would love to make something like that but I don't think I have the time sadly!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caz, I took it slowly, one row at a time, here-and-there, whenever time allowed. It went together quite quickly and I was pleasantly surprised to have it made before Christmas.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous finish - and so quickly done! I'm going to try to make one of these in 2015. It would be sweet for Valentine's Day, as well as Christmas. Of course, in my house - just likeThe Patchsmith's house - red gingham is an any-day bit of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red gingham is a household essential as far as I'm concerned ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hello Amanda! This is a really beautiful little quilt... I am very tempted to try it myself.... just need to find some extra time!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great little quilt to make over the holiday season as you can make one row at a time. And we all know how lovely an hour in the sewing room is at this time of the year.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful!!! I love how you brought the gray in with the stitching and the binding. I want to use gray in my mini now , after seeing it in yours! This is a real gem!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey linen seemed 'just right' for the binding. On Instagram there is a black-and-white version being made which is so cool (#nordicminiqal).

      Delete
  8. you've done a gorgeous job...such a beautiful pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. It was nice to have some sewing to focus on - rather than Christmas shopping/prep.

      Delete
  9. Love your Mini-- the gingham and hand quilting is charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I love the modern country look you get with gingham. And anything red-and-white has to have a touch of gingham in my book.

      Delete
  10. So cute. From the layout in the picture it looks large. LOL

    ReplyDelete