Monday 1 December 2014

Quilted Trees Across the Pond


December heralds the start of the Christmas season and this year I am well prepared.  The cards are written, food is ordered and presents are wrapped – yes wrapped!

This has left me plenty of time to indulge in some sewing for December’s Across the Pond project.  Amy, Susie and I have each taken a theme and come up with some free projects for you to enjoy.  My theme is CHRISTMAS TREES and I have found some great projects for you.  

But more about those next week.  This week I would like to share my own FREE QuiltedChristmas Tree project.  So grab a cuppa and find a comfy seat as there is a lot to get through.  Ready?  

First - download the handy PDF pattern sheet HERE which comes complete with colour diagrams and easy-to-follow instructions.  
   The Patchsmith’s Quilted Tree
(finished size approx 5” x 8”)
You can make your tree from just one fabric or you can use a different fabrics for each section of the tree. I quilted my fabric using 4oz polyester batting which I then pressed with a hot iron.  This made my quilted squares nice and firm.  Oh and before I forget, all seams are ¼” and are included in the pattern template but a smidgen either way won't make a lot of difference. 

To make one tree you will need:
·         One 12” square of quilted fabric
OR three 6” x 10” quilted rectangles.  If you are quilting your fabric specifically for this project then you will only need front fabric and batting – there is no need for backing fabric as the tree is lined. 
·         One 12” square of lining fabric
·         Tree Template from the Patchsmith's PDF Pattern Sheet

1.         Using the template from the pattern sheet, cut three triangles from the quilted fabric and three triangles from lining fabric.  

2.         With rights sides together stitch one outer quilted triangle and one lining triangle together along the bottom curved edge.  Repeat to make three units.  

3.         Open out the units.  

4.         With right sides together, stitch the three units together along the long sides as shown.  (I found it easier to start stitching at the centre and stitch out towards the points.)
.
Your tree will look like this once
two units have been stitched together.

5.         Continue until all sides are stitched together but leave a 3” gap in the lining of the final seam, for turning the tree out.   
  
6.         Trim the tips of the tree taking care not to cut too close to the intersection. 

7.         Turn the tree right sides out and slip-stitch the gap closed.  
Use a chopstick to help
when turning the tree right side out.
The tree top will be slightly rounded
due to the thickness of the seams.

8.         Push the lining inside the tree so that a small rim of lining shows around the bottom edge.  
It looks like the tree has binding around the bottom doesn't it?
There you have it - one quilted tree.  You can leave it plain for a country look or decorate the tree using buttons, rick-rack or pom-poms .....
Pom-Pom Tree

But if quilted trees are not your thing come back next Sunday when I will showcase some alternative ways to have fun with trees this Christmas.  

Want to know what themes Amy and Susie have chosen for this special month?  Then you should head straight over to Susie's Sunroom for a glimpse of a very special man before popping into AmyMade That for some snowy inspiration.

Don’t forget to check out the Across the Pond Flickr group for a look at what is being made on both sides of the pond this month.

Gotta go – I have to convince that merry fella to include me on his ‘GOOD’ list this year.  Surely, oh surely I can make it onto that list for one year in my life!

6 comments:

  1. I ADORE your Quilted Christmas Trees....How cute are they !!! They are like a mini quilt! I will be making one soon and really appreciate your excellent tutorial !
    Those pompoms really caught my heart!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea - thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to get busy and try some of these! I found some pompom trim to use - how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GENIUS!! You are so clever I thought this was going to be a "stuff job" but I love the lining sticking out idea so much more, They can store flat can't they. Oh and I have so much pretty fabric. I am on it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rim of lining happens naturally due to the seam allowance. Be careful - they are addictive!

      Delete
  5. ADORABLE! I want to make these for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete