Tuesday 26 August 2014

10 Quilty Little Secrets from the Patchsmith

http://www.13spools.com/2014/08/what-are-your-10-quilty-little-secrets.html
Check out all those Quilty Secrets
1.         I keep all scraps that are 1” square or bigger – yep, really!

2.         I often use ‘sew’ for ‘so’ at the end of my blog (for all you dislikers-of-sew-and-so - you have been warned).

3.         I get bored really quickly which is why I make small mug rug patterns.

4.         I press 4oz batting with a clean cloth and a hot iron to make it as thin as 2oz batting!

5.        I find it difficult to part with a quilt once made – they are like my babies.   And what type of a person gives their baby away?

6.         I press my seams to the side, up, down, open and anyway they’ll go – on the basis that they wont be seen!

7.         I don’t like perfection.  I like to see a mismatched seam or two, wonky binding and uneven stitching.  I call is ‘rustic’ and ‘homemade’.  I don’t want a mass-produced look to my creations.

8.         I get bored sewing squares onto corners to make triangle corners.  One or two, now and again is okay but for a whole bed-sized quilt – I think not!

9.         I don’t even know the name of most of the sewing thread I use – Aurifil, Moon, Coats, whatever.  And not all of it is cotton – some of it is polyester.

10.       I have been known to cut up a WIP for fabric scraps rather than finish it!   
 
Sew there you have it (I did warn you – see no. 2 above).

23 comments:

  1. Oh, I like to see that #1 is out in the open - I don't feel alone now because I keep (and use) my scraps too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there may be quite a few of us. And some of my favourite fabrics I 'um' and 'ah' about using even when it is just a 1" scrap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl after my own heart. Sigh! I especially identify with #3, 5 and 7. And #8 is just laziness on my part! hahaha. Can't wait to drop by one day and tandem bike with you whilst you teach me the art of tea drinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we will perfect the art of eating cake.

      Delete
    2. I'll invite myself to that little party!!
      Susie

      Delete
    3. You will be more than welcome. xx

      Delete
    4. Me, too, please! I'll fix the tea and cake while you girls are cycling. Mug rugs for everyone, of course!

      Delete
  4. #5 What if I make a quilt as a gift and the recipient doesn't appreciate it? That thought has held me back a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why mug rugs make exce!llent gifts - the recipient gets something handmade, you have fun making it and you are not imposing your tastes on another person.

      Delete
  5. I don't like giving mine away, unless I plan that quilt to go to someone in particular. I have given some as gifts and some were not quilt-worthy. They didin't even use it. Now I'm very picky giving away my babies too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can join you with #1 and great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this post. I was just cutting up scraps but only as small as 2 1/2 I guess I should reconsider this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2" or 2 1/2" are good sizes for scraps. 1" is too small for most things but I just can't help myself!

      Delete
  8. I really like that you "love imperfections ." This is a fun blog to read and see some little secrets that make The Patchsmith sew... One of A Kind !
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought the sew and so was ever an issue. I seen people using sew cute and I thought it fits right with sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your number 10!! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing worse than a 'should finish' or 'must do' hanging over me. Life is pressured enough without quilting becoming so.

      Delete
  11. I like going to the different blogs and seeing some of the different outlooks on quilting. It is very liberating. I actually had some trouble narrowing it down to just the ten. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree with #5, so I have a lot of finished quilts. Luckily I use them when I lecture! LeeAnna at not afraid of color, lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sew now we know why we love you sew much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made two quilts to give away and they have returned to me. I made one for my father and one for my mother. Both were returned to me upon their passing. Both were well loved. My sister-in-law wants my father's quilt for their lake house which once belonged to him (my father). I may just let her have it once I have finished with this house (decorating and remodeling). If I cannot find a place or use for it, I rather that someone else use it and I know she would. But, I agree. I have made quilts and have held onto them simply because I am not sure if others would love them as much as I do. LOL. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is lovely that your quilts have been well used and are still in the family. Keepsake quilts are exactly what making-and-giving is all about - to be handed down, generation to generation.

      Delete